Build A Foundation or Dig Yourself A Hole
Employment Law Fundamentals for Field Staff and HR Professionals
Presented by Tracy Thomas Boland & Danielle Jurema Lederman from Bowditch Attorneys, this program is geared towards managers and supervisors to give them an overview of some of the most important employment law concepts so they can confidently manage their construction industry staff and minimize legal risk for their organizations. Participants will learn how to address common employee relations issues, communicate effectively with employees and foster a culture of equity and respect.
Session 1: The Employment Relationship
- Application and interviewing dos and don’ts
- Importance of documentation of performance issues
- Best practices and requirements relating to terminations
Session 2: Creating a welcoming workplace
- Unlawful harassment, discrimination, retaliation – basics about the need for policies and training
- Workplace bullying
Session 3: Compensation
- Rate of pay, minimum wage, overtime, meal breaks etc.
- Overview of FLSA and exempt/non-exempt status
Session 4: Employee Leaves and privacy issues
- ADA (including accommodations process), FMLA, PFML – requirements and refresher